Thursday, February 26, 2009

In Shuizhai

It's been a few days since I've last posted, haven't really had a chance to access the internet since leaving Hong Kong. I have been journaling in pencil and paper everyday so may I can transfer some of that to this later on. I just stumbled upon this internet cafe just a few blocks down from the school I'm living at, and it seems like I can use it for free...maybe.

We left Hong Kong Sunday around 3pm and got into Shuizhai around 8, so it was about 5 hours or so on the road. Not bad compared to the 16 hour flight over here. The majority of the drive was on a 4 lane highway through farmlands and by cities. The last 30 minutes or so into Shuizhai was on rough dirt roads.

Ah, so much to talk about. The traffic here is a bit crazy and hectic, you'd think there would be accidents every minute or so. The rule of the road here in China is that a honk of the horn means 'I'm bigger than you and I'm coming through so you better move out of the way.' Need to pass that motorcycle carrying a cabinet? Just take the left lane and pass.

We stayed the first night in Shuizhai in a hotel, then went to the school campus the next morning where we moved into our apartment. When we arrived the students were looking out the windows and shouting "hello!" Everytime we walk around campus we get a hello every few moments - I have to say we feel a bit like rockstars here.

Rebecca and I are sharing one apartment and we each have our own room. Rebecca, Dr. Cook and I did some basic cleaning the first day to make it a bit more bearable. It's not the greatest place, but it's good enough and I appreciate it much.

That's probably enough for this post, I'll add some more things about what happened in the past few days in the next, and hopefully get some pictures up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment