Thursday, May 7, 2009

An awesome day in Hong Kong

So now ends Rebecca and I's first day on our 4-day trip to Hong Kong, what a hell of a first day it's been. We got up earlyish at the school and took a motorcycle taxi to the Wuhua hotel across town to catch the bus that goes to Hong Kong. The ride was nice and took about 5 hours or so. Going through customs on both the Chinese and Hong Kong side was a breeze, and that's when we first started seeing a lot of people wearing breathing masks - I figure it's due to all this swine flu scare and people are being extra careful as SARS is still a recent memory. Walking around the city today, I'd say about 10% of people were wearing these masks, mostly employees of stores and whatnot.

After getting off the bus in the same neighborhood we got on the bus the first time in Hong Kong, we first went to get some money exchanged and the found a place to eat - a cool french-style sandwich shop. Rebecca was really excited to finally have a salad and got a tasty panini sandwich. Afterwards she also bought some sorta expensive Haagan Dass ice cream.

The whole day we've been going a few places around the city using the subway system, which is clean, orderly, and very easy to use and manuver around in. Hong Kong has a great public transit system. We did some shopping in the street markets where you bargain for deals. I ended up getting a chairman Mao 'zippo'-type lighter, a tie for my suit, and a cool traditional looking Chinese shirt and pants that looks like pajamas or something you'd do Tai Chi in.

For dinner we found a Pizza Hut and we shared a large stuffed crust pepperoni and olive pizza. Afterwards I found an ice cream and then we searched for a bar to get a drink, so I ended up getting a nice dark Guiness Stout to end the day.

I'm typing this from the 'executive lounge' of the 5-star Marriot hotel we are staying in for three nights. Rebecca's mom travels a lot for her job so she racks up points for hotels, so she's providing us the hotel with her points for free. So thank you a bunch Rebecca's Mom!!! This is the most classy place I've ever stayed - so it doesn't even have that typical 'motel' smell. We arrived here about an hour ago and it's awesome, and I'm planning to go use the 24 hour pool/spa after this. We're on the 15th floor overlooking the ocean, which I can't really see right now but I'm sure it will be stunning tomorrow morning. Didn't think I'd get into this when I signed up for going to China!

Tomorrow we go to get our visas renewed, which is the whole point of taking this side trip to Hong Kong. I can tell this is going to be an awesome stay in Hong Kong. I'll upload pictures after I get back 'home' to Shuizhai High School.

1 comment:

  1. You know you are growing up when you get to stay in motels that don't have that "motel smell".

    ReplyDelete