Monday, August 16, 2010

So I've decided to go back...

好久不见 - Long time no see. I stopped writing in this blog last year when my semester living and teaching in China ended (and also when China decided to block access to blogspot during the last few weeks of my stay...ugh)

So why am I writing here again? Well, I've decided to go back to China! I had such an interesting experience last year that I wanted to come back and spend a little more time in the area.

So why China? Again? Well, why not? I graduated from college and need something to do next. I don't want to go to grad school yet, as I'm a bit burnt out on school at the moment and need a good break (plus I don't know what I want to do yet). And with this economy, there's not much right now for English majors fresh out of school, so I might as well go teach abroad. I'll be experiencing an interesting part of the world, continuing my education in a sense, and getting paid for it.

So what exactly will I be doing and where will I be? I accepted a job in Guangzhou to teach English to 12-14 year-olds. Like the last time I taught in China, the kids already have some understanding of English and have been learning it from their Chinese teachers for years, but my job is to give them experience listening and speaking with a native English speaker. The school I'm working for is providing me with a single apartment on campus to live in.

Guangzhou (known in the West as Canton) is the capital of Guangdong province. Last year I was in the small town of 五华 (Wuhua) in the east part of Guangdong province, and now I will be in the big city, closer to Hong Kong.

My departure date is just about here, Tuesday, August 17th. I have three separate flights: St Louis to New York, NYC to Shanghai, and Shanghai to Guangzhou. It's about 20 hours or so of flying, plus the time zone change. I leave STL at around 11 am on Tuesday, and I arrive in Guangzhou at 11 pm on Wednesday.

I'm looking forward to this crazy adventure. And like last time, there will be lots of photos...

No comments:

Post a Comment