Tuesday, March 3, 2009

'Cold' weather finally

Here's a big pig on a motorcycle-truck (Click to see whole pic, same with the bottom pic)



For about the first week since arriving in Hong Kong and into Shuizhai it was very warm. I didn't know the exact temperatures, but I'd guess mid 70's or so--enough to break a decent sweat.

The past few days however have yielded much cooler temps, probably in the 50s range or so, which can still be quite chilly. However, I just keep reminding myself that I'm not freezing away in Missouri so that keeps me happy. I think this region is in a drought currently, as although we've had overcast skies for the past few days, it's done nothing more than sprinkle, and the river here in town is very low. It will only get warmer as the weeks progress - I love being down near the Tropic of Cancer.

Rebecca and I began teaching our first week of classes this Monday, and in the two days and five classes we've taught so far, it's going really well. Our schedule is fairly light with only eight classes per week, each with a separate class as we teach grades 1 and 2 here at the high school. So the way it's working for this week is that we created one lesson plan and are using it for each class the whole week. We are introducing ourselves and where we are from, and teaching the students about "wh-" questions (who, what, when, where, why, how) and allowing time in each class for students to create their own questions to ask us out loud. We figure it's a great way to get the students talking and using English, as they are very curious about us and American culture. I've gotten at least one question about Obama in each class so far, but many of the questions we get are about our favorite sport or how we like China so far.

I'm surprised it's working out so well so far, and really I haven't been too nervous when I enter the classrooms. I felt much more nervous and pressured doing a practice teaching lesson in my ESL practicum class last semester in front of a handful of college students and my professor. It helps that Rebecca and I are team teaching together and that the students are so enthusiastic, who usually applaud loudly when Rebecca and I enter the room. A couple of classes wrote "Welcome to our class" on the board for us. That sure doesn't happen in America!

Part of one of my classes. All of our classes have around 50-60 students.


One of the English teachers invited us to her apartment on campus for dinner last night, and I have to say it was one of my best meals in China so far. Cara, one of the English teachers who has been helping us a lot was there as well and brought along her adorable baby daughter. Cara told me to bring my guitar over, so I did and played a few songs.

I think by the end of this trip I will be a ping pong master - I've been playing so much with the students and teachers and have noticeably improved my skills through just this week being here. I figure we come to teach English to the students, and they in turn will teach us ping pong.

Here's a pic of me buying a slice of pineapple on a stick from a tricycle fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment