Saturday, March 7, 2009

Rain rain rain

I've been paying attention to the weather back home in Missouri and saw that it got into the 60s and 70s, while here the temperatures dropped this week down to the 50s and likely 40s at times at the same time we're getting tons of rain. It's not as harsh as Kirksville winter but I hope it'll warm and dry up again shortly.

Thursday I visited the Da Tian (大田) village primary school by myself. Rebecca and I are arranged to visit the village school once a week, and we go by ourselves each time, so I decided to go this first time. I left the apartment at about 6:40 am and met the English teacher Cara who showed me the way to the bus station. It was my first time riding in one of those motorcycle taxis I see everywhere - a bumpy but fun ride across town. From the bus station it was about an hour bus ride to the village through some beautiful mountains, countryside, farms, and villages.

At the village school I taught two small classes of young kids somewhere around Kindergarten or 2nd grade age. The English teacher told me to teach out a book they gave me, but it was not enough to fill the class period, so I had to improvise some - I showed them on a map where I was from and also went over shapes and colors and a few basic things with them.

Here's one of my classes at the village school


Here's one part of the village near the school


Today while the rain let off Rebecca and I decided to walk downtown to try and find the American-styled fast food burger joint in town we've heard some people talk about. We asked several students from our school who we met on the street for directions and we finally found it. Now if I ever get the craving for good ol' bad American fast food I know where to walk to.

This yummy meal cost about $2.65 American, including an extra Coke I accidentally ordered


When we first arrived here it was fairly dry before the rains. Today we walked and saw the river which was flowing pretty steady now after three days of rain.

Here's a picture of an unfinished bridge with our school in the background


I also bought my first funny "Engrish" shirt today. It doesn't make any sense as you can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment